Here at A Makers’ Studio, we’re starting something new – Maker Mondays on our Facebook page! We’ll be sharing a new, super fun tutorial LIVE each Monday at 10 am Central time. You’ll get step-by-step instructions for crafting with an exclusive A Makers’ Studio DIY kit from Amy Howard herself, so don’t miss these!
For our very first Maker Monday, Amy is showing you how to create your own Trompe l’Oeil (“to fool the eye”) pillow. This technique creates a pillow that looks like an optical illusion, as the design pops right off the pillow… almost like it’s 3-dimensional!
Stylishly Stenciled Trompe l’Oeil Pillow DIY Kit, which includes:
- Hey Y’all Gel Art Ink
- If The Creek Don’t Rise Gel Art Ink
- Floor Tile Traditional 12×12 stencil
- Pillow sleeve
- Artist brush
Six Steps to Create Your Trompe l’Oeil Pillow
- Apply your floor tile stencil to the center of your pillow, making sure the main pattern is directly in the middle.
2. Apply If The Creek Don’t Rise Gel Art Ink to the stencil with your spreader. Hold down your stencil as you go to ensure it doesn’t move.
3. Remove the stencil, wash it, and lay it flat to dry. Let the first round of Gel Art Ink dry fully as well.
4. Place the edge of your dry stencil to “marry” it with the pattern you painted on first. Then, repeat Step 1 until stencil has covered the entire pillow. Allow it to dry fully (about 2 hours).
5. Add one part Hey Y’all Gel Art Ink to one part water, mixing with your artist brush. Using the artist brush, offload any extra paint and then start to embellish the edges of your stencil design to add detail.
6. Once your paint is dry, apply a warm iron to set your Gel Art Ink. This is the best way to ensure the paint sets and will stay on even after washing!
How simple (and fun) is that? For more information about the kit and how to create this unique DIY trompe l’oeil pillow project, check out the Maker Monday video below.
If you want to see more great projects just like this, follow our Facebook page and Instagram page and tune in each Monday at