Sometimes, you just want to paint a piece of furniture, but you don’t know which tools or paint to use. A Makers’ Studio is making it easy for you this week, thanks to our Paint A Piece DIY kit. Amy is also showing you how to make the most of this affordable kit on this week’s Maker Monday on Facebook.
Materials You’ll Need
The Paint A Piece Maker Monday Kit, which includes:
- Light Antiquing Wax
- Dark Antiquing Wax
- 2” in. wedge brush
- 2 chip brushes
- A Makers’ Studio Furniture Cleaner
- 16oz Rescue Restore Paint (choose your own color!)
How to Paint Your Own Piece
1. Clean your piece with A Makers’ Studio Furniture Cleaner.
2. Remove any hardware you do not wish to paint.
3. Dip your wedge brush in your choice of Rescue Restore Paint, offloading any extra paint on the side of the jar. Apply long, even strokes of the Rescue Restore Paint with your wedge brush. When the first coat is dry, apply a second coat.
4. When both coats of paint have dried, load a chip brush with Light Antiquing Wax. Make sure to have a piece of cardboard handy so you can offload any excess wax. Then, apply the wax to your piece using light but intentional strokes.
5. Next, choose the areas you wish to highlight with Dark Antiquing Wax. Using a new, clean chip brush, lightly load your brush with the dark wax and then offload excess. Apply the wax lightly, only highlighting areas you wish to give a darker, aged finish.
6. Once the wax has dried, buff it with a lint-free rag.
Thanks to the Maker Monday Paint Your Own Piece Kit, it’s easier than ever to paint furniture and surfaces in your home. All you need is the kit and a little bit of help from Amy’s Maker Monday tutorial on Facebook.
Check out the Maker Monday video for more great advice from Amy that we didn’t cover here — and tune in next week for more Maker tips! Amy is on our Facebook page every Monday at 10am Central to walk you through the next project, so make sure to “Like” and follow us there!
We’re looking forward to crafting a beautiful life with you.